Gifts of Stock (and other securities)

It's a Simple Process.

3 Easy Steps:

  1. Contact us for our broker information.
  2. Make your gift of securities to FH's Charles Schwab account via DTC #0164. Be sure to clearly indicate your name on the transfer so that we can quickly identify the gift when it arrives.
  3. FH will provide you with an acknowledgement letter and Form 8283. You can then use this information when you are filing your federal tax return in order to receive the tax benefits.

That's it!

A Better Way to Give

You love to see:

  • Malnourished kids get a complete diet.
  • HIV transmission prevented, care for those with AIDS.
  • The "good news" of Christ's love being shared with the poor both in word and deed.

That's why you give. But are you making your gift in the wisest way possible? Giving appreciated stock can be more beneficial than giving cash. You'll still get the charitable deduction, plus you won't lose any of an appreciated stock's value to capital gains tax.

Watch How This Works

The tax benefits to gifting stock are similar whether you're gifting stock outright to Food for the Hungry or you're gifting stock to several charities through a Donor Advised Fund. This short video from the National Christian Foundation shows how beneficial it can be.

Improve the stock you love as you give it!

Maybe you love your long-held appreciated stock, but dislike the thought of losing so much value to capital gains tax when you're ready to sell it. Consider this solution...

  1. Transfer the appreciated stock.
  2. FH uses the full value of your stock, tax free, to help the most vulnerable.
  3. Realize the charitable deduction when you file.
  4. Use the charitable deduction and some of the cash you normally give to buy more of that stock you love at a new cost basis.

Gift using actual stock certificates

If you hold securities in certificate form, you will need to use two envelopes to complete your gift. In the first, place the unsigned stock certificate(s). In the other, include a signed stock power for each certificate. You may obtain this from your broker or bank. Please remember to use certified mail. Mail them to FH at 1224 E. Washington St. Phoenix AZ 85034, attention Sean Mills